Randall Munroe has always had the ability to bring sarcasm and humour to a range of topics. As an example, here's a comic from just this past week:
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
As someone that used to work on robots at NASA, Munroe now spends his time working on xkcd and occasionally answers readers questions on his site What If? He takes sometimes absurd questions and answers them. And when I say he answers them, he really answers them.
Some of the top answers (to great questions) for your enjoyment:
- What would happen if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90% the speed of light?
- How much Force power can Yoda output?
- What if a glass of water was, all of a sudden, literally half empty?
- What would the world be like if the land masses were spread out the same way as now - only rotated by an angle of 90 degrees?
- What if a rainstorm dropped all of its water in a single giant drop?
- What would a bowling ball look like if it were blown up to the size of the Earth?
- If there were a kind of a fireman's pole from the Moon down to the Earth, how long would it take to slide all the way from the Moon to the Earth?
In 2015, the series was even turned into a book with content not available on the website.
|More from 1 Thing A Week|
|« Project 365 — a retrospective||How Apple should name their phones||4 things to improve Apple's App Store and the Health and Home apps »|